Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Preparations [ mental statement ]

Here's the lowdown!

I'm a recent college grad from Auburn University's School of Architecture. In the last two years of school, as I began to hone my skills, interests, and design preferences, I also began researching several firms. Call them "dream firms" if you want, but these are the guys whose work was similar to my school work in plan parti, material selection/demands, and general composition. They were also all located in a surprisingly high density around the Pacific Northwest, mainly Portland and Seattle.

So then I beg of you, what is a boy to do, but follow his heart.

I've mapped out a road trip that includes several stops to see family and friends, while also offering the chance to go architectural sightseeing (visiting/ studying/ sketching/ touching/ smelling/ observing user interaction/and finally photographing various buildings, boring unless you have an architecture mind). I am looking to use this as a chance for my "Find myself/ lose myself" roadtrip. It'll be me, my car, and the open road. I've got my sketchbook and camera, so stay tuned for more updates as I plan then travel.

Another offering this road trip has is the chance to visit the premises of various grad school programs. While not right away, I would love the chance to further my architectural maturity and understanding in an academia setting. While I have thoroughly enjoyed my time at Auburn's Dudley Hall, 5 years or education have made me more critical of the education I'm receiving, therefore I want to select the grad school that is right for me.

I've got a to-do list that ranges from putting finishing touches on portfolios and cover letters, to finding appropriate snow dig-out gear for my car. It feels like alot to do, with out the proper amount of time to dedicate to each task. Wish me luck and stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment