Friday, January 9, 2009

Photo Memories, Fort Worth

Trying to pick photos for the photography section of my work samples packet, and it sparked a bit of nostalgia. Here are some photos that have great memories that go with them. These all come from my Summer trip through Fort Worth, TX.


Lena Pope Chapel
Designed by Faye Jones.


Fort Worth Water Gardens
Designed in part by Phillip Johnson



Botanical Gardens



Kimbell Art Museum
Designed by Louis Kahn


Modern Art Museum
Designed by Tadao Ando

The Kimbell Museum is the first project that was not a let down. What I mean by this is that it was the first project that had a sense of wonderment built up about it the classroom; upon visiting it was able to keep me captivated with an equal sense of magnificence. The Modern's chances of reaching the same pinnacle wafted away when the museum staff wouldn't let us experience the building: we were not allowed on the grass to get the signature view from across the pond, nor were we allowed to experience the lower galleries on the water level. It meant I wasn't able to fully experience the exhibit I wanted to see... the building. While I thoroughly enjoyed the museum's contents, I feel shortchanged. I'll just have to go back someday.

Update on travel Preparations: Los Angeles and San Francisco are a go! While I'm not too familiar with LA other than a couple or Tom Mayne projects I want to see, I can promise you that I am stoked about being able to see Piano's California Academy of Sciences and Herzog and de Meuron's new de Young Museum!

The road awaits, and I'm almost ready to launch my craft!

No comments:

Post a Comment